“Small Batch” is all the rage these days, and for good reason. We’ve known about the power of the small batch way before it became as cool as craft ice cream itself. But what does it really mean?
There are a couple of options when it comes to producing anything. You’ve got mass production, in which something is made around-the-clock, ongoing, forever. Then you’ve got batch production, where the process stops after the batch is complete, and begins again with a new batch. There are several advantages to batch production:
- Quality Control: Each small batch of homemade ice cream is made with care and love. We know exactly where our ingredients come from, and we mix them in the precise formulation to create the local ice cream treat you know and love.
- Variety: Small batches allow us to experiment, and let us tell you, the only thing more fun than experimenting with new craft ice cream flavors is, well, eating them.
- Flexibility: Imagine what would happen if Californians suddenly decided all they wanted to do was eat School’s Out Strawberry ice cream all day for six weeks and we couldn’t shift our focus to make sure the freezers stayed stocked. With small batches, we can make what’s needed, when it’s needed.
- More Flexibility: Let’s say we decide to change a recipe. This is hard to imagine, because why mess with perfection? Still, it could happen, for reasons. With small batches, it’s simple! We just finish the current batch, then start the next batch with the new recipe.
- Special Flavors: You can make special flavors for special occasions, like our Malene Wines Rose Ice Cream, that we did for the La Fete Du Pink Rose Festival on April 13th, 2019. Yum!
- Small Business Friendly: There are only so many of us! If we had to spend all our time making craft ice cream, we wouldn’t have any time to eat it.
Harmony Valley Creamery exists not merely to create cold treats, but to create the best craft ice cream on the California coast and beyond. Crafting in small batches is one way we ensure you always get the best scoop possible.
If you’re wondering where you can find some batch, local ice cream for yourself, contact us!