School is back in session and we’re thinking of autumn, but the central coast is know for its Indian Summers, so make time to start whipping up some tasty and cool homemade ice cream treats to stave off the Indian Summer heat. Be sure to make use of all of the fantastic late harvest fruits available, such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches and persimmons, and if you’re not too keen on breaking out grandma’s hand crank ice cream machine, all of the following DIY summer ice cream recipes also work well with electric ice cream churns.
- Old Fashioned Tutti Frutti Ice Cream: This flavorful ice cream is a tasty blend of summer flavors, and the best part is that you can really use any fruits you like! A stone fruit is recommended for the base, such as peaches, apricots, cherries, or nectarines, and mashed strawberries, raspberries, and/or blueberries can be added to the mix as well for a pretty swirl throughout.
- Key Lime Pie Ice Cream: Key Lime Pie is a favorite summertime dessert for many, and this frozen version is just as satisfying. This homemade ice cream is custard based with a pleasant crunch from the addition of graham crackers, and it’s also delightfully tangy thanks to the abundance of lime zest and juice.
- Perfect No-Cook Strawberry Ice Cream: Strawberries are one of summer’s best fruits, and this tasty DIY summer ice cream is easy and flavorful, and does not require any eggs or cooking. Simply mix up a few simple ingredients in your ice cream maker and you’ll have a perfect strawberry ice cream in no time.
- Homemade Georgia Peach Ice Cream: Right alongside strawberries, peaches are a highly sought after summer fruit that can be turned into a sweet and creamy homemade ice cream in a snap. Be sure to buy a lot of them, though, because this recipe calls for two and a half pounds of peaches!
- Blueberry Buttermilk Ice Cream: End of summer blueberries and rich buttermilk work together to create a surprisingly pleasant and tangy warm treat that will please the palates of youngsters and adults alike.
Be sure to visit us at Harmony Valley Creamery to beat the Indian Summer heat and to share some of our own delicious ice cream flavors!